Sunday, June 23, 2013

An Update on Life from your boy Blue

Howdy all,

I apologize for the lack of posts over the last couple of weeks....its been a hectic time for old Blue.  This Spring/early Summer has just been a whirlwind in VT.  My work schedule has been insane...I've been traveling for work and a brief holiday in Ohio with my parents...followed by a intensive field school for the museum.  In the midst of all this I was frantically trying to keep up with my painting "obligations" for the LPL and other painting challenges....and just barely keeping my head above water...

...and then...just to top things off...On the 8th of June I fell stumbled down the steps carrying my 2yo son and landed on my ankle sideways....fracturing 3 bones in there.  (my son was fine...)  this put me flat on back for a week...followed by surgery...They used a metal plate and no less than 7 Screws to reattached the most displaced bones...

Thats right.....I'm bionic now!
I don't know whose foot that it is but it looks NASTY!, of course, led to more time flat on my back...but at least I had pain killers to help pass the time.

It has now been two solid weeks since the injury....and I'm slowly emerging from the opiate induced haze I've been  living in and starting to reengage with life.  Thanks to a TON of support from my wife, kids, and friends I've survived this far and now just need to wait for the damn thing to heal up.  I'll be in a non-weight bearing cast for a least a month more...and then a walking brace for another couple of weeks...but things are on the mend....finally.

As you can imagine this is meant that not a lot of painting has been accomplished. By sheer force of will I managed to get a team painted for Round 10 LPL.  I had to experiment with some speed painting techniques...and the team still looked rough and got slaughtered at the polls but it was a new team....and that was important for me.  As I find I can spend a bit more time each day in an upright position I have been trying to tackle some of the small lingering tasks from my to-do list.  Namely finishing off the basing and details on various teams from the LPL that I had to turn in without completely finishing by the well as getting some photography done....So I'll have a few posts for you all over the next few days just documenting those aspects of what I've been up to.

I hope to be able to spend some quality time behind a paintbrush in the next week or two.

Cheers for now!



  1. Blue! Be more careful! I mean, imagine if it had have been your painting arm instead! Any way, pleased to hear that you're on the mend old chap.

  2. Tough luck Blue, get well soon. Good thing your son didn't get hurt. As I imagine you cannot work, you might even get more painting done once you can sit up straight.

  3. Blue that sucks, glad to hear your healing up and your son was fine. I second Dreamfish take some time off and get some painting done while the ankle heals up!

  4. Well done for sticking in there with the LPL to the end. For what its worth I reckon those Space Orks looked great and you should definitely have been higher up the rankings!

    If the frustration of being immobilised isn't too much, enjoy the silver lining of all that painting time now you're through the cloud of pain and medication.

  5. Oh! Blue, crikey! Didn't see this until now. Glad your son was okay, that break looks nasty, though I did something almost identical hill walking years ago. Get well soon mate!