Though my painting mojo abandoned me for a couple of months this spring, I'm kickstarting things by tackling a project that has been lingering on my desk for at least a year now...A mounted wizard for my Bretonnian army. I've been messing around with the odd assortment of bits....a wizard figure from the late 1980's and a much more recent (c1998) Vampire Counts mount. I've been second guessing myself on how these things would work together...but one evening last week I decided to just take the plunge and dive into it and see how things turned out.
I'm Glad I did! ...and am quite pleased with the results
The wizard figure is from the late 80's Empire Knights release...this image from an 1989 Advert (thanks Stuff of Legends!)
The mount for such a dashing figure needed to be equally flashy and also fit in with the other 5th edition Bret mounts that the rest of the Grande Armee are mounted on....so I settled on this interesting sculpt from the late 90's Vampire Counts release...which has a very ornate metal head but uses the same cloth barded warhorse that came with all the 5th edition Knight releases. this image from the 2000 catalog
After watching my wife use a tooth brush to create a paint spatter starfield on one of her water color paintings I decided that it might be a cool technique for creating a suitably mystical cloak for the mage and cloth caparison for his mount.
Below are some WiP photos of the process.
I think the star field worked out very well and was, honestly, quite easy and saved me from over thinking how to make the large amounts of cloth on this figure work to my advantage.
Now that I'm back at the painting desk more often I hope to have some of the first foot knights to share with you soon as well.