Sunday, November 29, 2015

Imperial Dwarf Unit....Complete!

Hi all,

Well...the Thanksgiving holiday cut into my painting time considerably this last week but it was a nice break from the daily grind.  I returned to the painting station on Saturday night and managed to put the final touches on the unit of dwarfs I've been working on which is created from a mix of classic Citadel Imperial Dwarfs and Bood-Wargames Dwarfs.  The final push included finishing the shields, basing, varnishing and painting the inside of a few shields that show them prominently. 

I'm quite happy with the way this unit has turned out.  The Imperial dwarfs are some of the greatest Citadel sculpts of all time IMO.  The Bood-Wargames Miniatures fit in with this style perfectly and help to fill out the unit nicely.  With the addition of the Bood miniatures to my collection I was able to expand my one unit of imperial dwarfs to two nice blocks of classic looking infantry...they really fit together that well.

So here is the completed Unit


As you can see this unit of 21 consists of 10 Bood-Wargames Dwarfs and 11 Classic Citadel sculpts.  For this unit I chose to use the Bood Standard Bearer and the Citadel Musician with a Citadel hero in command.

Here is the Second Rank

Another great mix of figures in this rank.  The Chainmail guy on the far left is one of my favorites from this unit as is the Bood Figure next to him with the kettle helm.

Third Rank
With all these great figures it was hard to decide which ones to put all the way in the back...except for the Bood drunk of course...he needs to be in the back for his own safety!

While I had the lights out I also snapped a pic of just the ten Bood Dwarfs so you can see what a small unit of those looks like.



And Finally here are some more detailed shots of all the Citadel Dwarfs...there are some truly classic sculpts in this group.





As you have probably noticed I have yet to paint a banner for this unit.  My reasoning for this is two fold.  1.  I hate painting banners.  and more importantly 2. I managed to bend and badly crack this banner pole.  I guarantee that it will break off completely the next time I touch it.  So...it looks like I will need to replace that with a brass rod before I paint up any type of banner for it.  I may also make it a bit shorter....the better to highlight the fantastic eagle atop the banner pole.

Anyway...I'll post pics of that up when I figure out how to deal with it.

Cheers for now!

Blue




16 comments:

  1. They look lovely. Great collection of models. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a link for Bood?

    They fit in very well... Great looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking unit Blue! Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice collection, but then we can all buy miniatures, way more impressive is the painting, this we cannot all copy. I have a lot of Imperial dwarves and likely I will by the bood ones too. They will never look this good.

    The dark grey blue was a nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erny! Nice of you to say. I'd love to get a look in side your archive some day!! :)

      Delete
  5. Great looking unit Blue! Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me wish I had more Imperial Dwarfs. You also show how excellent they look in two tone colour schemes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. I was a bit concerned that they needed a third color as a contrast. But I like the subdued color scheme you can achieve with two. It makes the unit very cohesive.

      Delete
  7. Well done on these Blue. Can they really be finished without the banner? ;) Can you pin and glue the banner pole? I always try to repair where I can, rather than replace. As usual your paint job makes me want to buy more miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sadly I think the banner pole is too skinny to pin...but I may give that a try. Its my own damn fault for bending it ...:(

      Delete
  8. Where is it snapped? Can you not just glue the banner around the break that would support it more than enough? Or if it is too low down how about green stuffing a ribbon or something around the crack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cracked just above the bearers hand. Glue would certainly help in the short term but it is pretty loose and even if reinforced I dont think it would last too long...better to get it out of the way while I have momentum..:). It is also a bit tall for my liking as is...all my other citadel imperial dwarf standards have much smaller banner poles...so I'll use this as an opportunity to bring it down a bit as well.

      Delete
    2. Yes I had noticed the banners length. Good call.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous work Blue. The mix of miniatures is spot on and I really like the palette you've used on these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful looking unit. Nice to see old favourites mixed in with those Bood dwarves - they work really well together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic work. The Bood dwarves fit in seamlessly. I had something similar happen to a fimir standard bearer. Only thing for it was brass rod. Nothing like peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete