We have reached the point where it is time to get some new colors on the modular tiles in order to further break up the "putting green" portions of the boards and to make everything a bit more realistic.
This is a s multi step process and I will probably spread the painting over at least two posts.
The first step was to apply textured paint to all the areas that I had covered with filler and the patches of rocky terrain I had created with the coarse ground coffee. Following Clarence's suggestion I went to the local Lowes and looked at the premixed textured paint...but they only had it in ENORMOUS 5-gallon buckets...which is obviously WAY too much for my needs. After consulting with the paint expert at the store I settled on a quart of flat latex Behr Paint (called Earth Brown) and a small container of texture material...which is basically fine grain sand. I also bought an empty quart paint can so that I could mix a portion of the Brown paint with texture, while retaining the rest of the paint in the original can. In the new can I added a couple of inches of paint and mixed in some texture...I stirred that with a paint paddle...and then assessed the amount of texture by brushing some of the mix on a scrap piece of foam I had nearby...I ended up adding a bit more before I was satisfied...but it was as simple as that. The textured paint is really going to pay benefits when it comes to the later phases of dry brushing.
As I mentioned this was painted over all rough texture patches (coffee grounds), cliff faces, and road ways. I made sure to thoroughly cover all the filler and overlapped onto the surrounding grass mat a bit. Additionally I made a few random patches of texture on some of the open terrain areas...to further break things up. Here is how it looks on a number of the tiles.
Once all areas had received a good coating of paint they were set aside to dry overnight.
For the second phase of the painting process I chose three paint colors that would work well with the colors I use on my figure bases. I have a consistent basing technique for all my fantasy figures...and this is where that is going to pay off...if I can match the colors used on my table and on my bases the figures will look like a part of the table...and that's a significant goal of mine.(If you are interested in my basing technique, a full breakdown can be found here).
The colors I wanted to replicate are all from the Vallejo Model Color Range:
- VMC 140 Flat Brown
- VMC 880 Khaki Grey
- VMC 976 Buff
The colors looked pretty much spot on to me...so lets get the painting started.
First up was applying a pretty heavy coat of the Flat Brown....I didn't completely cover the textured dark brown...but it wasn't dry brushing either...lets call it wet brushing! Basically I laid down a pretty heavy layer of paint but didn't go back to fill in any spots that were missed due to texture etc. Like previous coatings I overlapped onto the grass mat...often transitioning to more of a stippling application in these areas.
Here are a couple of before and after pics of the boards after this layer of paint...in these you can see how much I expanded the earth colored areas around the rougher terrain.
I realize there is still much to do...but with each step it becomes more obvious to me that I'm headed in the right direction!
Next up we will apply the last two colors to the earth areas and then start recoloring the cliff faces and gravel to gray.
Cheers for now!