Now that the individual base tiles are complete I started adding on the design features that I had drawn up on the post it notes earlier. This I simply did with a large Sharpie marker. As I want these tiles to be as modular as possible I insured that the road sections all entered and left the tiles at a set distance from a corner...I opted for the center of the road to be 5" inches from the corner and for the road to be a consistent 3" wide at the interfaces.
Here is how things are shaping up.
|Open Terrain....this one was easy...|
|Large Castle Hill|
|Small Castle Hill|
|Large Hill and Pond|
Shaping of the hills was mostly done with the hot wire cutter and and a sanding block with 100 grit sandpaper. Here is the large hill for the tile with the pond, it was carved from a piece of 1" thick plank....it was glued down with Wood Glue and weighed down overnight to insure a good bond.
Next I turned my attention to creating the pond feature at the end of the hill. To carve out the depression for the pond I turned to my Dremel tool with a grinding stone attached. The stone carves the foam quite easily but created a tremendous amount of dust so I did most of this work with the shop vac running and capturing as much of that as possible....it can't be good to breathe.
At this point all the tiles are now "built" with major features attached and carved. I did set them all up together just to get an idea of where things are headed.
Next I will move onto applying the surface to the tiles.